Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
Paneer Butter Masala or Paneer Makhani is a very popular Punjabi recipe made from Indian Cottage cheese with gravy that is thickened by using butter, onions, tomatoes and cashew paste.
This recipe goes very well with all types of indian breads like rotis, naan, poori, chapathis, etc
Ingredients for Paneer Butter Masala Recipe:
- Paneer: 250 gms
- Onion Paste: 1/2 cup
- Tomato Puree: 1 cup (Boil 4 tomatoes, peel the skin and then make the puree)
- Curd: 1/2 cup
- Butter: 5 tbsp
- Ghee: 2 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp
- Kasoori Methi: 2 tbsp
- Cashewnut paste: 4 tbsp
- Dhania (Coriander) Powder: 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala: 1tbsp
- Cumin Powder: 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Chili Powder: 1-2 tbsp
- Food Color: 1 pinch
- Green Chili: 4 nos
- Sugar: 1/2 tbsp
- Cream/Malai: 2 tbsp (Optional)
- Salt to taste
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Serving: 4-6 people
Cooking Method for Paneer Butter Masala Recipe:
- Cut the Paneer into medium sized cubes. Take a pan on medium heat. Add 2 tbsp butter and fry the paneer cubes for around 4 minutes.
- Now take out the paneer and soak it in a container with 3 tbsp of curd. This is to make the paneer soft. Keep the paneer aside for 15 minutes.
- In the same pan in which the paneer was fried, add the onion paste and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add green chili, ginger garlic paste and stir for another 3 minutes.
- Add dhania powder, turmeric, garam masala, cumin powder and chili powder. Mix well.
- Add the tomato puree. Cook for an additional 6 minutes. Occasionally stir the mixture and if the gravy in the pan becomes too thick add some water in between.
- Add the remaining curd and keep stirring the mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the remaining butter, kasoori methi, ghee, cashew nut paste, sugar, salt to taste and food color.
- Now add the fried and soaked paneer cubes into the pan and mix the contents. Simmer it for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add the cream to the gravy. Remove the pan from the heat and keep it aside for around 15 minutes before serving.
You can serve the Paneer Butter Masala with naan, rotis, chapathis or poori. Try this recipe and let me know how it comes out.