Spicy Chilli Chicken Recipe
Need a break from everyday Indian meals? Then look no further than Indo-chinese recipes. Popular among them are Gobi manchurian, Chicken manchurian and one of my favorites Chilli Chicken. For beginners Indo-chinese cuisine is basically the usage of chinese seasoning, sauces and cooking techniques mixed in with some indian spices to suit Indian tastes.
The Chilli chicken recipe here is a dry and spicy version where marinated chicken pieces are deep fried then cooked in a mixture of green chilly, capsicum, soya sauce & red chili sauce and finally garnished with spring onion. So lets get cooking!
Ingredients for Chilli Chicken Recipe
- Boneless Chicken – 1/2 kilogram (1 inch pieces)
- Green Chilly – 15-20 (cut length-wise)
- Onion – 1 small (thin long slices or short thick cubed slices)
- Capsicum (Bell Pepper) – 1 (thin long slices or short thick cubed slices)
- Soya Sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chili Sauce – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Ajinomoto – 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- Sugar – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garlic – 8-10 cloves(chopped finely)
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon (finely chopped pieces)
- Pepper Powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Corn Flour – 3 tablespoon
- Egg – 1
- Spring Onion – 4 chopped
- Water – 1 1/2 cup
- Food color (red or orange) – 1 pinch
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to tastePrep time: 15 minCook time: 30 minServing: 4 people
- In a bowl take the chicken pieces and add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add 2 tablespoon corn flour, 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder (rest will be used later).
- Mix the ingredients well and set the bowl aside for 10 minutes.
Cooking method for Chilly Chicken Recipe
- In a frying pan or a heavy bottomed vessel take sufficient oil for deep frying on medium heat.
- When the oil is hot put the marinated chicken pieces into it and deep fry them for around 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes take the chicken pieces out and put them on tissue paper to remove the excess oil.
- Take another pan on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil.
- When the pan is hot add chopped ginger and garlic and stir for 2 minutes.
- Now add green chilly and mix for another minute.
- Toss in onion and capsicum and fry for 3 more minutes.
- Its time now to put in the soya sauce and red chilly sauce. Mix the contents well.
- Add 1 cup water, stir the contents and wait till it starts to boil.
- Now add food color, salt to taste and mix again. At this stage you can now taste a few drops of liquid to check for salt and also for spice level. You can add more salt or more red chilly sauce based on your taste needs. Be careful to not overdo it.
- Add a pinch of food color and mix well.
- Its time for the star of the the dish the chicken to go in . Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder, ajinomoto (optional) and sugar.
- In a separate vessel or a cup, add 1/2 cup of water, 1 tablespoon corn flour and stir. This will be used as the thickening agent.
- Now increase the heat from medium to high. Add the corn flour water mixture little by little and stir the contents slowly. You will see that the contents starts to thicken.
- When there is no liquid left, the chilli chicken recipe is almost done. Take the pan off the heat and add finely chopped fresh spring onion and mix gently.
Serve hot as a starter/appetizer or as a side dish. Enjoy!