Indian Rice Recipes: Ghee Rice Recipe
Ghee rice is a delicious Indian rice dish made with Ghee, the Indian Clarified Butter and spices to give the rice flavor and aroma. As a side dish you can use a non-vegetarian side like Butter Chicken or vegetarian side dish like Vegetable Korma.
Ingredients for Ghee Rice Recipe
- Rice – 2 cups (jeera samba rice or basmati rice or sona masuri rice)
- Green chilly – 10 nos
- Tomato – 2 nos (medium, chopped finely)
- Onion – 2 medium sized made into paste
- Ginger Garlic paste – 4 tbsp
- Beans – 1/4 cup
- Carrot – 1/4 cup
- Peas – 1 cup
- Clove – 6 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Star anise – 1 no
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Kasturi Methi – 1 tsp
- Cashew nut – 8 nos
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 2 cups
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serving: 3 to 4 people
Cooking Method for Ghee Rice Recipe
- Take a rice cooker on medium heat and add ghee and oil.
- After a couple of minutes add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, star anise and cardamom.
- Then add onion paste. Stir the mixture and sauté till the raw smell of onion vanishes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and cook till the raw smell goes.
- Then put green chilly, cashew nuts and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add tomato, peas, carrot and beans with 1 tsp of salt. Cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- At this point add coconut milk and water. Bring the contents to boil.
- Then add some more salt to taste and put rice.
- Close the lid and cook till 1 or 2 whistles or 15 minutes on low heat.
The Ghee Rice is now ready to be served. Serve Ghee Rice with a side dish like Vegetable Korma or with any non-vegetarian gravy like Butter Chicken.