Vegetable Pulao Recipe
Vegetable Pulao is a flavored rice recipe which includes cooking rice with vegetables and spices. Long-grained rice varieties like Basmati are the best for preparing Pulao. You can also use Sona Masoori or Jeera Samba rice. In this recipe I have also used coconut milk, mint and coriander for added aroma and flavor.
Ingredients for Vegetable Pulao Recipe
- 2 1/2 cup Basmati
- 2 Onions (long slices)
- 2 Big Tomatoes
- 15-20 Beans (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2-3 Carrots (cut into pieces)
- 1 1/2 cup Cauliflower
- 1 cup Peas
- 1 tbsp Mint leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 4 Cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp Kasuri methi (dry Fenugreek leaves)
- 3 Marathi Moggu (What’s this)
- 1 Star Anise
- 3 Cardamom
- 1 1/2 cup Coconut milk
TIP: If you don’t have canned coconut milk you can prepare it yourself. Grate one coconut. In a blender grind the grated coconut with one cup of lukewarm water for a few minutes. Then strain through a fine sieve to get the coconut milk.
- Salt to taste
Grind the following ingredients into a thick paste:
- 20-22 Green Chilies
- 1 hand full of Mint (Pudina) leaves
- 1 hand full of coriander (Cilantro) leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 6 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorn
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Dhania (Coriander) powder
- 1/2 medium sized Onion
- 4 tbsp Ginger Garlic pastePrep time: 15 minCook time: 30 minServing: 4 people
Vegetable Pulao Recipe Cooking Method
- First wash and soak the Basmati rice for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take a pressure cooker or deep pan. Add oil and when it is hot add Bay leaves, Cinnamon stick, Cloves, Kasuri methi, Marathi Moggu, Star Anise and Cardamom.
- After a minute or so add onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Then put all the vegetables and 1 tsp salt. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook them till they are mushy or pulpy.
- Then put the paste that was prepared earlier and mix well.
- Cover and cook on simmer till oil separates.
- Add coconut milk and 2 cups of water required for the rice to be cooked.
- When the contents come to a boil. Taste the liquid and add salt if required.
- Now add rice, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Close the lid and cook till you hear 1 whistle (pressure release) if your using a pressure cooker. If you are using a deep pan then cook till most of the water dries up. You will know the rice is done when you press a grain between your thumb and index finger and it squishes completely. And you are done!
Serve piping hot Vegetable Pulao with tomato, onion and cucumber raita.